Monday, July 26, 2010

Concert Review: Sleigh Bells & Die Antwoord

Royale in Boston played host to a very electric and mind blowing show this past Thursday night when it featured a concert by Sleigh Bells and Die Antwoord. Sleigh Bells are a noise pop duo from Brooklyn, New York who recently released their debut album, Treats which charted at #39 on the Billboard 200 album chart. Lead vocalist Alexis Krauss churned out her powerful vocals through electronica infused songs that resonated really strongly with the crowd, myself included. Guitarist Derek Miller added his exquisite guitar skills through every song in the set. Although their set was shorter than I expected, it definitely provided for an energetic and effervescent performance that only set up what was to come later in the evening.

Die Antwoord was next to take the stage. Die Antwoord is a hip-hop group from Cape Town, South Africa who played one of the most interesting yet bizarre performances that I've ever seen in my life. The group's energy level during the performance was completely off the chart, setting the concertgoers ablaze in the floor section with powerful rhythms and bombastic dancing. The lead vocalist who goes by the name Ninja, assaulted concertgoers with a fury of rhymes and beats which isn't hip-hop in the traditional sense, but is infused with a heavy dose of electronica that attracts music fans of all different genres. During the performance, I couldn't help by noticing the video program that was prominently displayed in the background which featured some bizarre imagery featuring naked women carousing with each other while wearing bear masks, which made me raise my eyebrows a little bit. The performance itself was unlike anything that I've ever encountered in my travels, and is a concert that I'll look at as being groundbreaking and one that I'll remember for some time to come.

For more information on Sleigh Bells and Die Antwoord, head on over to their MySpace pages which I have listed below:

Sleigh Bells: http://www.myspace.com/sleighbellsmusic
Die Antwoord: http://www.myspace.com/dieantwoord

No comments:

Post a Comment