Thursday, January 24, 2013

BREAKING: The Mars Volta Break Up

Some sad news just coming in now. The Mars Volta, one of the preeminent prog-rock bands of the mid 2000's, are officially no more. The news of the break up came via a series of tweets that frontman Cedric Bixler Zavala started sending out late last night via his own Twitter account. Here are the tweets bunched together in a statement:

"Thank u 2 all VOLTA fans u deserved more especially after the way u rooted for us on this album. I tried my hardest to keep it going But Bosnian Rainbows was what we all got instead. I can't sit here and pretend any more. I no longer am a member of Mars Volta. I honestly thank all of you for buying our records and coming to our shows. You guys were a blast to play in front of We could never had done it with out you. My dream was to get us to the point were Jon Theodore and Ikey Owens came back but sadly it's over Thank u a million times over for ever giving a fuck about our band For the record I tried my hardest to get a full scale North American tour going for Noctourniquet but Omar did not want to. I guess a break from mars volta means starting another band and ignoring all the support the fans gave us. I tried my hardest guys All I can do is move forward with my music and just be happy that mars volta ever happened at all. God Damn we had a blast. Thank u again. I just feel really guilty for not even really saying the truth because a hiatus is just an insult to the fans. To all our fans all over the world: thank you for giving a fuck. You all ruled! I don't think I'll ever hear a fist full of dollars the same. My record will see the light of day soon and I'm excited because it sounds nothing like my previous endeavors. I'm not joking about any of this, I owe it to you guys (all fans) to be serious about this. Thank you to all past members who helped Volta along, as well. We blasted through like a comet and left our mark! If you ever see me in person and want to know why I'll tell you my side of the story. Finally, Please just be happy that it happened at all, remember all the opposition we were met with for just starting a new band back in 2001."

The Mars Volta formed in 2001 and featured Cedric Bixler Zavala and Omar Rodriguez Lopez, who were a part of the influential early 90's band At The Drive In. The band released their debut effort Deloused In The Comatorium in 2003, which contained tracks such as "Inertiatic ESP" and "Televators". It wasn't until their sophomore album Frances The Mute in 2005 where things really took off for the band. The album went gold on the strength of singles like "The Widow" and the 12 minute long "L'Via L'Viaquez". Amputechture followed in 2006, and was a bit of a step backward for the band, containing songs such as "Viscera Eyes" and "Vicarious Atonement" and was not as successful as its predecessor. The band made a huge return to form in 2008 with The Bedlam In Goliath, which debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200 album chart, their highest ranking there, and contained strong tracks such as "Wax Simulacra", "Goliath", "Aberinkula", and "Ilyena". Their next album, Octahedron followed a year later and was a more pure, prog rock based album containing tracks like "Since We've Been Wrong" and "Cotopaxi". Their last album came out just last year, called Noctourniquet and contained one memorable track in the form of "The Malkin Jewel".

I had the opportunity to catch The Mars Volta twice in concert, once back in 2005 at the Worcester Palladium and again in 2008 at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence, RI. They put on a hell of a live show, and were an essential part of my musical heritage and enabled me to move past the ordinary type of music that I normally listened to, and transition into a more complex, otherworldly state of mind. I will miss these guys dearly and hope the best for them in the years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment