Monday, July 8, 2013

Interview w/ Lower Lands



Proud to bring you another installment in my continuing interview series! Today for you, we head across the pond to Lincoln, England to find out more about the emerging sounds of Lower Lands. These four lovely lads have been making a name over there with their debut EP "Canvas" making an impression on thousands of listeners, and they're hoping that their sound can transfer over well to U.S. listeners as well. The boys were nice enough to sit down for an interview as we talked about the genesis of their music and their hopes and aspirations of their music moving forward. And here is the transcript from that interview:

Give us your names and your roles in the band?

My name's Jacob and I play bass and sing, Benji sings and plays guitar, Paul plays guitar and sings and Rob plays the drums.

How did you come up with the name "Lower Lands" and how did you guys all meet?


Lowlands was the name of a local football team and we thought the name rolled off the tongue pretty well but we didn't want to copy it, so we changed it up a little bit.
A few of us were friends and in bands since we were about 13 then we got to college and all got obsessively in to Reuben so we made Lower Lands.

When is the earliest moment you can recall being exposed to music?


I remember my mum always singing me Bob Dylan songs when I was a kid.

Then when I was four I really fell in love with Elvis, I just thought he was the coolest guy ever. I even asked to get my hair cut like his.

What music did you listen to growing up and how has that helped shape who you are today?


I was really lucky to have parents who were into cool music.

I grew up listening to loads of punk like Stiff Little Fingers and The Sex Pistols. The Cure were also a huge influence on me as a kid, I remember watching their music videos and being blown away by how different they were to anything else I'd ever seen.

When I was 9 my mum took me to my first proper gig which was Iggy Pop and Green Day. Seeing bands like that on stage just made me want to be doing do what they were doing.

Growing up in the U.K., were there many opportunities or outlets to play music or was finding venues to play difficult?


There are quite a lot of shows going on in England and we haven't ever really struggled to get them. We're blessed to have people contact us regularly asking us to play their event.

The only problem being that there's so little money in the live music scene these days promoters can't even cover bands costs most of the time, every penny we've ever made on merch has gone straight into petrol. So if you see us live buy a shirt, trust me the money doesn't get wasted.

Take us behind the recording of your latest EP "Canvas" and what that whole process was like?


We recorded at The Ranch with Neil Kennedy and it really couldn't have gone better. The guy is a genius and he made everything sound exactly how we wanted, it was a privilege to work with him.

What are some of your favorite songs you guys have recorded so far?


I love the title track of the new EP 'Canvas'. I think it just drops people straight in at the deep end of our new stuff and shows people what we're all about.

What do you guys like to do for fun when you're not playing or recording together?


We play a lot of FIFA and it gets pretty intense. I'm the best and Benji knows it but he's just too proud to say it.
We love looking at stupid stuff on the internet and quoting stupid movies. Will Ferrell is the funniest man alive.

What does the rest of the year hold for you guys? Playing any shows in the U.S. sometime soon?


We've got a few one off shows coming up over summer and a UK tour to announce soon. We all want to make it over the Atlantic as soon as we can, but I'm not gonna give anything away.

Any last words to those who may be reading this interview?


I hope you like Lower Lands and if we ever play a show near you sometime come say hello, we'd all love to meet you. Thanks for paying attention to what I had to say right to the end too.


Thanks once again to the fine chaps of Lower Lands for being so kind and gracious for carving some time out of their busy schedules to conduct this interview! For more information on the band, please visit their Facebook page here and check out their music via their Bandcamp page located right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment