Thursday, November 14, 2013

Interview w/ Nolan and Patrick of The Wheeler Brothers


Presenting to you today an exclusive, sit down chat with one-half of the five piece band The Wheeler Brothers. Based out of Austin, TX this folk band has captivated and riveted audiences with their down home blend of folk rock designed to take listeners along with them on the ride as we take a musical journey through what makes them wholly unique and different among the plethora of other similar acts touring the country today. Two of the members Nolan and Patrick were nice enough to sit down and do an interview as we find out a little more about them and get to understand what inspires them to create music each and every day. Here is the transcript from that interview:

Give us your names and what you guys do in the band?

Nolan Wheeler-ukulele acoustic guitar glockenspiel keyboard vocals
Tyler Wheeler-bass
Pat Wheeler-drums
A.J. Molyneaux-lead guitar, lap steel, back up vocal
Nathan Rigney-lead guitar back up vocals



What is your earliest memory of being exposed to music, any artists that directly influenced you?

Nolan: Earliest memory would have to be cruising around with my father listening to Don McLean American Pie in his old pick up. I feel like the musical exploration started with classic rock then pit stopped in folk, alternative, soul and experimental.

Patrick: I think taking a lesson from the Galactic guys was probably my most memorable early music experience. We were young impressionable musicians and these guys were masters of their instruments. I honestly could not believe they were at our house teaching me and my brothers. The last time I had seen them, I was way in the back of a sold out Stubbs. Watching that Halloween show was a major catalyst for me deciding to go to LSU and certainly something that inspired me to make a career as a drummer.



What was life like growing up in Austin, TX, what kinds of activities did you do to pass the time?

Patrick: We had a pretty normal suburban upbringing. We had a creek in the back yard, a bb gun, played baseball and had a fascination with fire that lead to each of us being engulfed in flames at one point or another. When you grow up with brothers its pretty hard to get bored. Nolan was the funniest. He would do just about anything to prove how tough he was. I remember we got him to dress up in camo and then run around as we chased him with paintball guns. It definitely wasn't sporty but I'd say he passed the toughness test more than a few times. 

How has music affected or shaped your life up until this point, any memorable experiences that it has provided?

Nolan: It's all I think about. You either spend your time milling over melodies or writing experience to paper. There are so many different ways of approaching an experience or idea that lend themselves to lyric.

Patrick: Making music a full time gig has definitely been a change of lifestyle. Luckily I enjoy the sporadic schedule and late nights. I can't say it's done a whole lot to keep me shape but I have always loved traveling and that is pretty much half of what we do. Once you go these cities enough, you actually start to find your favorite places. Big and small, they all have their charms. 


How do you guys usually compose all of your recorded material, does one person usually handle the songwriting portion or is it all a collective process?

Nolan: At some point it always becomes a collective process. The easiest way to start is with the author who brings the idea however complete to the table. It can range from a simple melody or a completely written song. From there we add the instrumentation and structure.


What are some of your favorite tracks that you've recorded together and ones that your fans seem to gravitate towards as well?

Nolan: My personal favorite is "Cigarette Smoke". I like the loud simplicity that comes from the guitar/drums. It's also the only song I get to play electric guitar.

Patrick: As far as favorite tracks go, I've always liked "Focus". For me it's just fun to play I enjoy the link between Tyler and I.

In your spare time, what do you like to do for fun and leisure away from playing and recording music?


Nolan: I just put the final touches on a home studio in my spare bedroom. It's a great place for pre-production ideas. I've been spending most of our off time working ideas for the next album.

Patrick: The ever changing schedule also affords us random down time. Sometimes you get a whole month off like this last month and you get to pick up a quick hobby like skydiving.



What's coming up next for you guys, any further tour dates or new music happening down the road?

Nolan: We're going to take a two month break following our Thanksgiving date. I'm getting a polyp taken of my right vocal cord. However we'll be back on the road late February. It's always just a balance between touring/promoting the last album and writing/recording the next.


Lastly, any last words do you want to give to your fans who may be reading this?

Nolan: Thanks for all your support!

Patrick: To the readers all I can say is thanks for taking the time to listen to our music and learn a bit about our background.


Thanks once again to Nolan and Patrick for taking some time out of their ever busy tour schedule to do this interview. I know how hard they work touring the country exposing their sound to an ever increasing audience, and it was great chatting with them and getting to know them a little bit better as well. The band will be performing in Boston tonight @ Royale along with Houndmouth and The Ballroom Thieves. For more information, head on over to Royale's website located right here and buy tickets via Ticketmaster at this link here before they sell out in a hurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment