Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Interview w/ Ethan Schiff, Artist Manager

Hey everyone!

Back again with an all new interview in my ongoing series. This time around, I'll take you behind the scenes and give you a perspective from the management side of the music business that not many people know about. Today, we're going to interview Ethan Schiff, who currently owns his own management company called Ethan Schiff Entertainment based right here in the Boston area and has worked with countless artists to help develop their brand and get them on the path to success. Ethan was able to find some time from his ever busy schedule to give an in depth interview on the management side of the business and what drives him to succeed every day. Here is the transcript from that interview:

Just a little introductory question, tell us who you are and where you're from?

My name is Ethan Schiff. I was born in Columbus, OH but am now living and working on the east coast in New York and Boston.

How did you first become interested in managing bands?

Well, my parents gave me my first drum set when I was two or three years old, and I was playing constantly for a while. I was in a popular band in high school, but when I realized I was getting more excited about the marketing strategy for our shows than playing the show itself, I realized the business side of music was the way to go for me.

From there, I started booking local bands, and then ended up being more interested in management because I wanted to be more hands on with the artists I was working with.

Where did you go to school and how did it help prepare you for your managing career?

I studied Music Business Management at Berklee College of Music in Boston. All of the stuff that happened outside the classroom was much more valuable than the academic side. Being surrounded by 4,000 musicians was huge for me, not only by exposing me to some really creative and talented people, but I was also able to really learn about the industry through real experience rather than simply in classes.

What made you want to start your own management company for artists?

Well really it was just something I was doing independently for a while anyways, so it only made sense to turn it into something a little more real. Also, I think having something a little more legitimate can serve as a foundation to build from in the future.

What bands have you managed previously?

I’ve worked with a handful of other bands or artists in the past who I’m not working with anymore for a variety of reasons. But right now I’m managing two artists who I’m really excited about, and it looks like I’ll be starting work with a third very soon.

What is your favorite thing about managing bands?

I love how rewarding it is. It’s obviously stressful at times, but, as lame as it may sound, I genuinely feel like I’m helping people do what they love.

What is your least favorite aspect with regards to managing an artist?

Sometimes it can get stressful trying to coordinate a handful of things at once, especially while working with highly creative people if there are certain deadlines to meet. But the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. Like, I work pretty long hours, which is something most people see as a bad thing, but I’m just constantly excited and never want to stop.

What artists are you currently managing now and how are they different from the other upstart acts out there?

I’m currently managing two artists. One of them is a pop/rock artist named Melanie Lynx and the other is an artist more in the dance/pop vein named Betty Who.

Melanie has performed more than 400 times with a huge wedding band and her performance skills are unreal from that experience. She also has a great band and I think her whole live show will set her apart from others.

With Betty Who, she’s influenced by a wide variety of artists, from Michael Jackson to Katy Perry, and is also a really great songwriter. She’s also a hilarious person in general, is super fashionable, and just has this sort of larger-than-life presence about her in general that makes her stand out. I think capturing and amplifying her real personality, combined with her songwriting is going to be a perfect combination.

What do you like to do in your spare time away from managing?

I really like to read, and try to read a new book every few weeks. I also like just grabbing drinks with friends and getting a nice break from things. And obviously I listen to a lot of music.

Oh, and sushi too. I love sushi. I think I’m addicted.

What advice would you give someone who wants to get into artist management?

I’d say to just find an artist you really believe in and start trying to help them out in any way you can. I’m still learning a lot and know it’s a very gradual process of learning through failing, just like anything else.

It’s always easy to find excuses or convince yourself why now is not the right time to do something. But unless you just jump in and figure it out as you go, you’re basically letting down both yourself and the artist, who you may have truly been able to help.

Thanks once again to Ethan for taking some time out of his work schedule to do this interview! If you want to find out a little more about Ethan's company, head on over to his website at: www.ethan-schiff.com to get a little more info about what his company does.




No comments:

Post a Comment