Thursday, October 31, 2013

How Music Helped The Red Sox Win The World Series

If you were among myself and many others all across the country watching the World Series last night, you may remember a chorus of people singing along to Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" when Shane Victorino came up to bat and immediately on the first pitch, hit a bases clearing double off the Green Monster that put them up 3-0 en route to a 6-1 win, defeating the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 6 of the World Series at Fenway Park. That scene was one of the most beautiful scenes I've witnessed in modern sports where everyone harmonized together to that one song to help Shane feel at ease when up at the plate, and be productive as well.

Music in general has helped the Red Sox erase the beer and chicken fiasco and the Bobby Valentine circus, and clinch their 8th World Series championship and their 3rd in the last 10 years. The team has been an absolute joy to watch this year, from helping us recover in the aftermath of the Marathon bombings, and giving us endless walk off wins and seemingly impossible come from behind victories in the postseason, the team has been there for us to make life totally worth living. But it was the integration of the player's individual walk up songs that allowed the players to have their own identities and make them feel zoned in when up at the plate during pressure situations. I'll admit that I lost faith in the Sox and they let me down in recent years, but for the team to bring home a World Series championship so soon and giving us reasons to cheer each and every night makes me a firm believer in the power of music to give us those special memories that we'll cherish for years and years to come, and the Sox did just that for me. And for the whole team, I'm eternally grateful for what you've done for the city and for myself personally, and I honestly could never repay you enough for all the joy and passion you brought into my life over the course of the season, and the fact that music was a big soundtrack for those big moments, really makes me appreciate this team so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment