Thursday, June 7, 2012

Interview w/ Steve McDonald of The Okay Win

Hey everyone!

Back with another in my recurring installments of interviews with past Artist Spotlight subjects to see what they're up to right now. Today, we check in with Steve McDonald of The Okay Win who has had a rather busy past year. After releasing their most recent full length "Common Nature" last year, the band has performed relentlessly throughout New England, and reached two of their career milestones in their relatively short career so far when they opened for Kevin Devine at Royale this last October, and opened for Portugal The Man at House of Blues back in April. The band just released their brand new EP titled "Leveled" this past Saturday at a release show at The Lilypad in Cambridge, MA and Steve was kind enough to devote some time for an in depth interview to see what he's been up to now and what lies ahead for the group in the future. And, here is the transcript from that interview:

-How have things been in the last couple of years Steve? The last time I interviewed you, you were getting ready to release your split EP with Big Big Buildings "Two Toned".

Things have been pretty great. That was just about 2 years ago, and since then things have just kept going up, both musically and personally. I feel incredibly lucky.

- How has the complexion of The Okay Win changed musically since a couple of years ago?

Well since that time, we had a bit of a lineup change. We were a 4 piece then and our drummer at the time ended up leaving at the end of 2010. There really wasn't any will and it just felt like the right step. Once he left though, we officially added two new members, Adam McElreath and Dave Chardo. Adam is Big Big Buildings, who we released "Two Toned" with, and Dave had filled in on drums for us before and had been playing alongside the guys for years. It was a natural fit, and if anything I was the "new guy". After all was said and done, we are now a happy family of 5.

- Tell me a little about the band's brand new EP "Leveled" and the concept behind it?

Leveled is the title track off of the EP. Generally, I just really liked the imagery and freedom of that word. Finding a balance, tearing apart you're own inner workings to find some sort of peace, etc. I had written the song after my Uncle died a year ago. It hit me pretty hard, and within the band this whole past year we just kept losing major pieces of our family. The whole concept of grieving was consistently on my mind, and the fact that a lot of people don't let themselves experience that moment. People in general often try to block out a lot, whether it's good or bad. If something good happens, people think they don't deserve the happiness. If something traumatic happens, people ignore the reality and it just ends up catching up with you. I used to just be very passive and keep my emotions to myself, but as I grow older I'm trying to wear my heart on my sleeve a bit. When it came to the song "Leveled", I was trying to describe an approach where people just let themselves feel what they want to feel. If you want to be happy, do it. If you want to be sad, do it. In the end, hopefully things balance out and it allows you to process the events better and be at some sort of peace.

When I brought the word to the guys, it was pretty much instantly agreed upon. 

We came up with the concept to allow fans to be a apart of it and potentially experience something they've always wanted to do artistically. We gave out each song to a different person and had them make a video, with no input by us. We also accepted art submissions too. The goal was to give a forum for people to express themselves, and hopefully share something they've never shared before, or try their hand at a medium they've always been interested in. Honestly, we didn't get a ton of art, and I get it. I was still excited about the project though.

- What is your favorite song off "Leveled" that speaks out to you the most?

I honestly love them all. Each one has a different feel for me. Maybe, right now, "Cliff". It's got a nice flow to it and it's so fun to play. I brought that song to practice and it wasn't clicking, and usually if that happens we'll just throw it to the side. We kept trying though, and once it clicked, it just felt right. The whole song is basically about the "grass is always greener" mentality, and being okay with your choices.

- How has your music progressed from your first album "We Are Bound" right up until "Leveled"?

I actually released a record called "Building Hands" before the "We Are Bound" in the summer of 2008. It was my first album, and was all solo acoustic, with a couple songs having drums. Since then it's been a whirlwind, and I've released 5 albums in total, with the last 4 being with The Okay Win. I recently went and listened to everything in order and it was crazy to hear the changes.

I definitely feel more confident overall. Back then my voice was so...weightless. Not that it's amazing now, but I feel like I've figured out how to sing the songs I write. I have a better sense of how I want a song to sound, and each album has been a learning experience too. There is always room for improvement.

Overall, the biggest progression was moving to a full band situation. It allowed me to be a part something that felt great, and we were able to take some chances that I couldn't do solo.

- Do you like playing as part of a collective group better versus playing solo?

I'd say the group. There are moments when playing solo is fun. I got play a show with just Kevin Devine and myself, at my favorite venue, this past January. For that night, it felt appropriate and really meant a lot to me on a personal level. There is a sense of intimacy too when its just you and a guitar. You have a certain freedom, and there isn't much separating you from the audience. 

With the band though, it's just so fun. To share in that experience with your best friends is unforgettable. ac yourselves into a car and drive 5 hours to play for no one, or to play the biggest club in your city in front of 1,000 people. It's a wonderful thing to be able to share those moments and be able to laugh at it. Plus, I am not the most talented musician. I feel bad even using that word. Ryan, JM, Adam, and Dave are all incredibly talented guys that bring something different to the table. It feels great to be able to put our ideas together.

- Let's flashback to the beginning, when was the moment you realized you wanted to become a musician?

I was always a really shy kid, with a lot of social anxiety. My friends were always out in the public eye in some way. One of my best friends works in the statehouse and is involved in politics, another is an actor in Chicago, and another is a comedian in Brooklyn. I was always the kid in the background, which I didn't mind because I always froze when put on the spot. During high school though, I'd be in my room at night with a fake microphone, pretending I was on a stage. I didn't play an instrument though. I had a guitar from when I was 13, but I knew nothing. It was all a pipe dream.

When I was in college, I came out of my shell a bit, but still had some anxiety problems. I wouldn't go to parties, and I would often just hide in my room. I'd get so in my own head that I'd stay in there forever just waiting for people to leave so I wouldn't have to walk by them. During this time though, I got really involved in radio though, which was a perfect gateway. I got to use my voice, but didn't have to have people look at me. While this was going on, I was also teaching myself guitar and kept saying, maybe I'll do an open mic. I never did though. 

When I got out of college I had a job interview for a radio promotions company and they asked me what my biggest weakness was. I responded with "I can be shy..." and it was all down from there. Never say that in a job that requires talking. Haha. It ended up being a pivotal moment though because I realized that if I wanted to be anything, I had to step out of myself. That night I went home and recorded two demos, and began showing them to friends. They were so poorly recorded. All mixed to the left, and I was barely audible. My fish tank was the most prominent part of the song, but people were supportive. I kept writing and recording, and eventually played an open mic. It was a blur, but after that I was hooked. Beyond the power of music, it has been easily the best thing I've been a part of. It's helped me in more ways than I could ever say. Relationships, self perception, etc.

- Do you feel that writing and/or playing music has a therapeutic effect on you?

Completely. There are times where I get incredibly anxious and just need that cathartic release. I don't do drugs, and alcohol doesn't really solve my problems, so music, as cheesy as that sounds, is what does it for me. You get up there and just rip through this intense set and let it all out, and at the end it's like a massive weight being lifted. There are times when it has the reverse effect and you're left feeling a little empty because now you're not sure what's next, but overall I'd say it definitely has a therapeutic effect on me.

- When you get up there on stage, what is your one main goal that you strive to accomplish each and every time?

This will sound mean, but when I first started, my goal was to make at least one person cry. Not out of being mean, but I was a confused and sad bastard, and I wanted my lyrics to hit people. Often times, I was able to too, which looking back makes me feel like a dick. 

Now though, my goal is to just create this energy. I don't ever claim to be the best, but I definitely think we bring an honest and an energy that gets lost sometimes in music. I want people to have fun, but I also want people to feel something. There seems to be this bad rep for writing songs that aren't just throw away lyrics about nothing. If you write anything that means something to you, or can be misconstrued as "sad" then you're depressing and "emo". I think all of that is BS. I want people to be able to move their feet, but at the same time take something away, whether it's from the energy or lyrics, and apply it to something in their life.

- What have you learned and picked up from other musicians you've played with over the years that you've applied to yourself both on record and on stage?

I'd say the biggest thing is being yourself and being honest. You can tell when people are portraying a persona, or they aren't being genuine about what they're saying. As a band, we just try and let ourselves shine through. People will respond to it, and from experience, even if they aren't a fan of the music, they still respect it. 

- Looking back, is there anything you've wished you' d done differently with regards to how your music sounded when you first started out?

Not really. I mean, hearing those songs are tough because I feel like I've gotten stronger. I mean, that first record came out and I hadn't even been really playing seriously for a year at that point. That's who I was at the time though and I have to accept it. I loved, and still do love, when it's just someone and a guitar. 

- Describe a moment when music affected your life so profoundly that it still has lasting effects on you today?

In regards to my own personal music, and this may because it's so fresh, but our EP release this past weekend. It was the most fun I've ever had playing and it was one of those moments I'll never forget. At the end, my voice was shaking because it was just an emotional moment and I'm still on a high from it. As far as witnessing other bands though, there are two shows that stick out to me. Most recently was Bon Iver at Mountain Park last summer. It was a rainy summer night on the side of a mountain and that show was beautiful. The rain just kept coming down harder and harder and I could have cared less. That guy gets some shit because his lyrics can be non-sensical, or because now that he's big it's not cool to like him anymore, but that guy is ridiculously talented. That show felt huge to me. Probably the biggest moment was seeing Kevin Devine at TT The Bears in June of 2009. I've seen him so any times by this point, and this past year got to play with him twice which was insane. That night though was perfect. I was going through some personal stuff and was in a weird state of mind. I wasn't necessarily taking the best care of myself, and I was doing some things I had never done before. That whole show though felt like it completely narrated my life, and felt like a major kick in the ass to get my shit together. I still replay the whole thing in my mind on a regular basis.

- What has music given you over the years that you feel you can never repay back and look fondly on?

Too much to even say. I don't know what I'd be like if it wasn't for music, and I don't even want to know what i'd be like. It's been everything for me. It's allowed me to become closer with people, meet new people, travel, meet my idols, play in these insane spots, laugh harder than I ever have. Seriously, it makes no sense sometimes. It feels like a dream.

- Non-musically, what are you up to these days during your time away from the band?

I don't really live a rock-star life. I live with my fiance near Boston and we're getting married in August. Work during the day. Tend to my vegetables. Cook. Walk to the library in town a lot. Try to remain focused. I'm at a really good place right now so I'm trying to keep it there, and progress a bit.

- Lastly, what does music speak to you that others cannot directly say?

The energy is just something special. Specifically, just the sounds, if you stripped all words away, it still speaks volumes. It's crazy how this assorted collection of vibrations has such power over people. There are moments though when a song builds, or this note comes in and it just is pure euphoria. It's just inspiring and makes you feel like everything will be ok.



Thanks once again to my friend Steve McDonald for carving some time out to conduct this interview! If you want to check out their latest EP "Leveled" or haven't already, please do so by going over to: theokaywin.bandcamp.com/album/leveled You can 'Like' them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/theokaywin and follow them on Twitter by going over to: www.twitter.com/okaywin

No comments:

Post a Comment