Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Commentary on The Marathon Bombings

I know this is a music blog and all, but I felt I needed to share with everyone my thoughts and reactions on the recent tragedies that occurred the other day at the Boston Marathon. I first heard about the bombings when I was out running that day (not at the Marathon, but a track close to my home) and I got a news flash on my phone saying that there were explosions reported near the finish line of the Marathon. My initial reaction was that it was just a manhole explosion and whatnot, but then my gut reaction thought this was way more serious when I turned on the radio in my car, and all the stations were reporting on what just occurred.

I drove straight home, and saw the mayhem unfold right before my very eyes. I was shocked and scared that something awful like this could happen in Boston, a place I've called my home for close to 30 years now and a place that has a rich, cultural diversity like no other. Immediately after the bombing occurred, I decided out of respect for the 3 people who unfortunately lost their lives and the hundreds who had to endure countless hours of surgeries because of their injuries, I made the conscious decision to suspend all blog posts for the rest of the week. I thought it was a sign of humility and pride that I shut down for a couple of days to focus and reflect on the recent events. Although the intervening time off has helped cope with the healing process, music has helped me more than anything else ever could. I'm truly amazed with the power that even just one song could have and become a highlight of your entire day and make the weather seem that much warmer and the sky much more clearer as well. I'm also amazed with the outpouring of well wishes I've gotten from people all near and dear to my heart via Facebook asking if I was alright and saying that Boston is in the hearts of everyone around. I'm teary eyed and amazed at the outpouring of love and affection that occurred in such a short span of time, and really spoke volumes about the kindness of humanity in times like these.

The picture at the top of the page symbolizes the never-ending spirit and support of the Boston community, and also symbolizes our love of baseball and all our sports teams in general. Please feel free to spread this image around to your friends and use it in your profile pictures (I know I will!) I'll be back with my regular round of blog posts on Friday, and thanks again for everyone for all the well wishes! Your support means more than you will ever know!

No comments:

Post a Comment