Thursday, September 15, 2011

Interview w/ Ken Yates

Hey everyone!

Wrapping up my special series that I've conducted this summer with a host of up and coming artists who were also featured here on the blog as Artist Spotlight write-ups. We conclude this series with an interview with emerging singer-songwriter Ken Yates. Ken was a featured Artist Spotlight here on the blog back in May and is an incredibly talented artist who has a real elegant, straightforward acoustic style to him similar to that of James Taylor and his songs evoke feelings of love within relationships. I caught up with him recently to get to know a little more about him and how his education has helped prepare him for his musical journey. And without further ado, here is that interview:

Give your name and where do you come from?
Ken Yates, I'm from London, Ontario, Canada

How did you first become interested in music?
My whole family is very musical and had me playing the piano and the trumpet at a young age. I gradually moved to the guitar once I really started getting into music and because my influences were mostly guitar players.

When did you first learn to play a musical instrument and when was it?
I first started learning the piano when I was about 9 and dropped that quickly to play guitar.
Recently, you just graduated from Berklee School of Music. What was your experience there like?
Amazing, I was surrounded by so many talented people and it really helped me discover what my strengths are as a musician. Without going to Berklee I don't even know if I would have been a songwriter. I learned so many new things that helped shape what I wanted to be as a songwriter and it was really great to be able to learn and network with people trying to do the same thing as me.

How have your studies helped prepare you for your musical career?
My studies at Berklee have really helped me understand the music industry. I really think that having constructive criticism from my peers and teachers has been so important in preparing me for my career because I know where I stand as a musician, and I know what I need to get better at. Berklee allowed me to really just focus on writing and making my songs the best they can be before I bring them out into the real world.

When did you first learn how to write your own songs?
I didn't start writing songs until my second year at Berklee. I started taking a few songwriting courses not knowing if I would like them, and then I got hooked. The great thing about taking classes for songwriting is that it really motivates you to write, and to write something good for that matter. I never wanted to bring a bad song into class so it made me work a lot harder to write something I was proud of.

Where do you draw inspiration from to write your music?
I generally don't write about my personal life because it always feels like a personal joke with myself and honestly, there just isn't enough interesting stuff to write about! Instead I like to think of interesting emotional situations and write about something that a lot of people will relate to. It often starts with a personal idea, but then I try to twist it to make a more interesting story.

What themes and overall subject matter does your music revolve around?
I usually write about love and relationships (that sounds really cheesy) but it really is the best subject matter. I've promised myself that my next song will not be about a girl! 

What do you like to do in your spare time when you're not playing music?
I'm pretty big into the outdoors so if I do actually take time off from playing music I'm using fishing or camping or something like that.

What are your hopes and where do you see yourself in the future with regard to your musical career?
I hope to continue to make a career as a singer/songwriter. I really just want as many people to like my songs as possible.
Thanks once again to Ken Yates for taking some time to do this interview! His insight and passion for overall simplicity in his music really shines through and he is an extremely gifted and talented musician with plenty of potential for success in the future! Keep an eye out for more interviews to come sometime soon with other up and coming artists from the Boston area and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment