Thursday, September 8, 2011

Interview w/ Paul Materne

Hey everyone!

Chugging along with my series of interviews with artists that were former Artist Spotlight features here on the blog several months back. Today, I present to you an interview with my absolute favorite Artist Spotlight musician that I've ever heard, Paul Materne. He was featured here on the blog back in February, and he has the absolute best voice I've ever come across in my musical travels. Never before have I encountered a musician with so much passion and determination that listening to his music almost threw me to the brink of tears at one point. You can view my original Artist Spotlight post on him right here: http://www.music-box-pete.net/2011/02/artist-spotlight-paul-materne.html I recently had the pleasure of conducting a brief interview with Paul to get a better idea of how much music has changed his life and how it's shaped him as a person as well. Here is the full transcript of the interview:

Give your name and what instrument do you play? 

My name is Paul Materne and I play a Taylor acoustic guitar that's worth more than my car haha

How did you first become interested in music?

Well my whole entire family sings. Not just my mom and dad and sister, the whole group grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins. So I grew up around it.

What themes and/or subject matter does your music cover?

Mostly things that I go through in life.

What is your song "If You Only Knew Her" about? 

Well it's about my ex-girlfriend and it basically means you'd have to know her to know how amazing she was because words can't describe it.

How big a role has music been in shaping who you are as a person?

It saved my life man. I used to be into drugs bad and almost died alot of times and when I quit doing them, playing and writing got me through it and with no rehab. And now I've been sober.... it'll be two years in November!

What has been the reaction to your music so far?

Well not that many people listen to it which I would like to change! But people who have heard it say it's amazing and I should be famous! lol

What musicians/bands have helped influence your music? 

None really, my life is really what influences me.

Do you plan on playing any shows or releasing a EP sometime in the near future?

We'll see, I would love to but I'm going through alot of struggles in my life that I won't mention.

How would you describe your music to someone who has never heard of you?

Hmmmmm.... it's passionate because the lyrics when I write them come from deep down, emotions and thoughts. And when I sing them I really bring that passion out through my voice.

What do you hope people take away from your music? 

I just want them to enjoy it, chill to it, whatever man. I just want people to listen and if they could get something out of just listening to me sing then that would be a blessing.

Thanks once again to Paul Materne for taking some time out to do this interview! It's absolutely amazing to hear how music has practically saved his life and made him realize that he has a true calling in life to express his talents through music. To check out the immense talent of Paul Materne for yourself, head on over to his Facebook page and 'Like' it as well by going over to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-Materne-Music/145412042192989 Check back next week for my last artist interview in this special series.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment