Monday, September 16, 2013

Interview w/ Kevin Devine

Starting off the week with another edition in my continuing interview series! Today, it is my honor and privilege to bring to you an exclusive interview with Brooklyn based singer songwriter Kevin Devine. You may remember him from my Artist Spotlight write-up on Bad Books which I did a few months ago that also features Andy Hull from Manchester Orchestra. He was kind and gracious enough to do an in depth interview as we get a better understanding of his beginnings in music, and his upcoming musical projects due next month. And now, here is the transcript from that interview:

Give us your name and what instruments you regularly play?

Kevin Devine, guitar, sing, write songs.

What is your earliest recollection of being exposed to music at a young age?

My mom playing "Michael From Mountains" by Joni Mitchell; listening to the Beatles & Joan Baez; my brother playing the Michael Jackson songs from the E.T. soundtrack.

Where do you draw inspiration from to write your songs?
 
All over the place; memory, other people, books, society, love, transgression, forgiveness, fiction, fact.

How has being exposed to music shaped you to the person you have become or changed your outlook on life thus far?
 
I can't really conceive what my life would look like without music in it.   It's been so central for so long, for literally as long as I can remember.  It's spinal, it's like imagining your life without hands or something.  I think I've learned about empathy, love, spirituality, social justice, transcendent experience, humor, sarcasm, wit, so many things through music.

Take us behind the recording process for "Bulldozer" and what is the overall theme surrounding it?
 
Bulldozer was recorded in March of this year out in Los Angeles with my friend Rob Schnapf producing, and the rhythm section of an excellent band from LA called Everest playing bass & drums.  Isobel Campbell sang on a song, which was a gift.  I sent Rob a bunch of demos through the winter, and when I got out to California we picked them apart and reassembled them.  I love the record, I think it breathes a lot.  There is no overarching single lyrical theme, just an exploration of personhood, identity, relationships, and some reflections on Hurricane Sandy through the eyes of a very specific set of New Yorkers.

What was it like making "Bubblegum" with The Goddamn Band, and how do you manage making music with multiple acts, is it difficult juggling between more than one act at the same time?
 
I loved making Bubblegum with the dudes from the band.  Mike Fadem & Mike Strandberg have toured with/written with/recorded with me for years, and Jesse Lacey, who produced, has been around my music career since 1999, in all its iterations, so his opinions & insights were informed & earned & valuable.  I love jumping around - as a songwriter & a performer, I think it stretches you out, makes you more versatile & limber.  It allows me to exercise all corners of my musical interests.

How important is it maintaining fan connection with your music, how does fan interaction affect you personally and do you have any memorable fan encounters?
 
I have hundreds of memorable fan encounters, too many to boil down to one or two.  I'm blessed largely with smart, thoughtful, interesting, committed fans who "get it" - the connection with them has literally been the most sustaining aspect of my career to this point, hands down.  It's very gratifying to know they're so invested.

What kings of things do you like to do in your spare time? Any hobbies or sports teams you follow?
 
I like to read, run, watch movies, spend time with my friends & family; I like food & coffee.  I like self-care, seems like the most punk rock thing you can do as you age in the underground.  I like the Mets, the Knicks.  Teams that tend to lose a lot.

What's on tap for the rest of the year? Any tour dates coming up that you're looking forward to?
 
Yeah, I'll be on tour for most of the next 18 months or so, most likely, starting with a US tour this fall and UK/Europe tour next January/February.  Really looking forward to all of it.

Lastly, are there any musical or personal goals that you'd like to achieve, anything you haven't accomplished yet?
 
I'd like to keep getting more peaceful with the idea that I'm responsible for the effort and not the result.  We live in a results culture but I'm happiest and healthiest when I detach from that and just do my work and remember to be grateful for it.

Thanks once again to Kevin Devine for taking some time out of his ever busy schedule to do this interview. I was a little late to the party in discovering his music, but I'm so glad I checked him out when I got the chance as it's some of the most lyrically introspective and emotionally responsive music I've ever listened to in quite some time. If you're not too familiar with his music, I highly recommended you do so and 'Like' him on Facebook here and follow him on Twitter here plus keep an eye out for "Bulldozer" and "Bubblegum" slated for release on October 15th.

No comments:

Post a Comment