Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Exclusive Interview w/ Sulene

Today, we present to you an exclusive interview with Sulene from Helicopria! You may remember the review I did of her debut solo EP "Holding Words Back" a couple of months ago, and Sulene was gracious enough to devote some time out of her ever hectic schedule to chat with us and discuss a little bit about the genesis of that album. We also talk about what inspired her to step out on her own solo, and how music has changed her outlook on life and what drives her to achieve success each and every day. Here is the transcript from that interview:

Give us your name and what instruments you regularly play?

My name's Sulene and I predominantly play guitar and sing. I also pretend I can play piano, drums and bass.

How did you first become interested in music, what was your earliest recollection?

I grew up with music around me - my mom is a classical pianist. I heard her practicing every day and my father is very musical too. I would spend hours every day just writing chord progressions and little pieces on our piano and eventually I dug up an old acoustic guitar and violin. When I was 14 my parents bought me an electric guitar and drum set and then the basement-jamming bands started and never really ended, I guess. I can't really pinpoint an earliest memory of music - it was as much a part of growing up for me as learning to read and write.

Do you find music to be therapeutic in nature and how has it helped you in the past?

Absolutely. I often joke that if I didn't create art if some way, I'd be a horribly depressed person. I started writing songs and poetry when I went through my awkward teenage years. The songs serve as a journal, I never really wrote in journals, and when I listen back I can hear myself slowly figuring life out, my purpose, how to fit in. Music saves me on a daily basis. I'm a hyperactive person, and I find when I can't direct all my energy bursting out of me towards something positive, I tend to resort to destructive habits. I'm very thankful to have found something I can honestly say is more of a lifestyle than career.

What inspired you to step out on your own with your debut solo EP "Holding Words Back"? Did you think about doing this for awhile?

Before writing Holding Words Back I'd written about 3 or 4 EPs prior which I never put out, I'd even demoed all of them. My priorities lay with the two bands I'd been in for the last 5 years - Helicopria and Super Prime. After putting out 5 records with these groups, as well as several film scores, I took off the summer after graduation and let the EP write itself. I just had to be available and ready. I was surprised by what came out; stylistically, lyrically, and the message. It had all been so pent up for months and months.

What are the primary differences between your music and the stuff you did with Helicopria?

Helicopria's music comes from a very different place from my own. JP, Drew, Sirma (precious vocalist), Allison (previous vocalist), Elijah (precious guitarist) and I were setting out to do something extremely unique. We had the interesting merge of neo soul/groove from our fantastic rhythm section, paired with angst/darkness/real stories from our singers and I pretty much offered the raw, punk element, paired with my ideas about composition, along with Elijah's progressive rock talent. Helicopria was looking to push challenge musical boundaries, whereas my music looks to challenge psychological boundaries. Unique, out-there music is an important part of musical growth for any artist, but my music serves as a vessel for a message, or several messages. I want someone to hear a song like "Lovers Lost" and by the end of it have been challenged with a new concept - maybe when a relationship between two people doesn't work out it's not so much about the failed integration, but the failure to love oneself and stand on your own, alongside someone else. I want people to feel less alone; as I mentioned above, I struggled as a teen and Thom Yorke, Matt Bellamy, Jeff Buckley and Jimi became my therapy. I want people to be able to relate to my music, and I want a direct connection with them on stage. This is why I play a lot of covers, why I don't get tied to guitar effects anymore, and why I decided to put my own music under my own name. Here I am, what you see is what you get.

Take us behind the recording for "Holding Words Back" and what that whole experience was like?

I mentioned the EP sort of wrote itself and this is very similar for the recording process. I was learning production techniques over the summer and was asked to record a song for the producer I was learning from. After that, it turned into three songs and we'd generally do 2-6 am recording sessions. I first did full mock-ups of all my songs and then found the right musicians. We recorded all my guitar parts in a huge room with a Mesa Boogie and Les Paul. Clean guitar parts and some leads were done on my strat. Vocals were done after my move to Brooklyn, New York, on my own in my windowless loft bedroom. I was still too shy to record vocal parts in front of a producer. Emmett Ceglia and Dan Alport killed it on drums and bass. After that all the tracks were sent to my mix engineer CJ Cochran, who did a wonderful job polishing the record.

What is your favorite song off the new effort that you're most proud of?

Purgatory is probably my favorite. It's also super fun to play live.

In your spare time besides music, what do you like to do for fun and to unwind?

Any down time I have I try to spend with my friends or band - I don't see them as much as I'd like. I also like to skate.

Looking ahead this year, what kinds of things will you be doing in support of the new effort?

Over the summer I have some shows lined up on the east coast, and we're almost finished writing our second release. We're hoping to start recording some ideas in the coming months.

Lastly, is this solo career going to be a permanent adjustment or is this just a temporary foray and do you ever intend on returning to Helicopria at some point?

I'm still in Helicopria. We're looking at making a full length produced by our bassist Drew in the next year or so. Our schedules are a bit crazy for the next while. But yes, my solo career is a permanent commitment. I can't think of a better way to spend my life than composing, being on stage and connecting with people.

Thanks once again to Sulene for being ever so amazing in doing this interview. She is an insanely talented and incredibly beautiful woman with a veracious appetite for music and everything associated with it. This is only the beginning of an extraordinary career for Sulene that will transcend boundaries never before crossed. For more info on Sulene, 'Like' her on Facebook here and follow her on Twitter over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment