Friday, March 14, 2014

WFNX: A Look Back One Year Later

It was 1 year ago today that the Boston Phoenix announced that they would be ceasing publication, effective immediately and also ending the 29-year run of WFNX, which was reinvented as an online only station 5 months prior after signing off terrestrial radio that summer.

Looking back, I still miss WFNX fondly and there honestly isn't a day where I don't think about it. I'm grateful for all the bands I discovered while listening to the station, I'm grateful for all the terrific memories that it provided me over the course of my teenage years, I owe a great deal of my musical existence on this planet to WFNX and it has repaid me plenty in ways that I can't possibly describe. This year marks the 5 year anniversary of writing for this site, and this will be a complete celebration of everything music related and all the important stories, bands, and features I've done on countless artists, plus a huge bash to follow which I'll discuss more info on at a later date, but WFNX will definitely be a part of that retrospective and it will always be a part of me and has helped me get to this point where I am now. Thanks once again to all the DJ's that were involved in some way, shape, or form to WFNX, especially Michael Marotta of Vanyaland who has been a great deal of inspiration me to start a writing career and while he is a competitor, we're both in this business to write about the local Boston music scene and share our individual viewpoints as to what constitutes great music, and break new artists in the New England area as well. Here's to WFNX and all the great memories and awesome people it has helped me interact with along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment